22.2.11

98 waiheke sculpture on the gulf

There are a couple of events each year that send Aucklander's flocking. Lantern festival celebrating chinese new year is one of them - however it has now peaked - any more people going and I think Albert park would cave in. Too crowded is gross and unattractive, and while it is fantastic that the event's success be such a great advertisement for the chinese community this was the first year I have actively wanted to get out as soon as I got there. Should they start charging for entry like the did for Mission Bay's jazz festival a couple years ago to keep all the teenyboppers out? Who knows how they would try and control that though. I think maybe moving to the domain or something??

On the other end of the scale is Waiheke's annual Sculpture on the Gulf - an event that has made its name over the past couple of years as a wonderful showcase of New Zealand artistic talent. Me, Howie and Mel went rather last minute finding out the last day was the next day, and ferried over. It is such a lovely feeling to be out in the sun on a beautiful island walking around some pretty exciting and memorable pieces of art. Is this what the farm feels like? If only I could weasel my way into see these works, I would be pretty excited!

IMG_1076

IMG_1079

IMG_1084

IMG_1092

IMG_1100

IMG_1116

IMG_1222

IMG_1128

IMG_1239

IMG_1161

IMG_1175

IMG_1196
photos: Howie Kang and myself

No comments:

Post a Comment